January 21, 2012

{Dear Rachel} Please no gifts!

Dear Rachel,

What is the etiquette for requesting guests NOT bring gifts to a birthday party. I am planning my daughter's first birthday party and only want to celebrate her birth, not make it about presents.

Thoughtful Mommy
Ottowa, Ontario


How beautifully simple! I changed your name to "Thoughtful Mommy" because I think you are being just that. By asking your guests not to bring gifts, you are taking the pressure off your friends and family to find the perfect gift while keeping your little girl's room a little less crowded! There are only so many toys, dolls and outfits a one-year old needs...so, in my opinion, you are making a wise choice!

The best way to get this message to your guests is to state it on the invitation. You can word it several different ways, but I love this little gem:

Please no gifts. Your presence is our present.

It's short, sweet and leaves little room for interpretation without being rude. Place this on the bottom of the invitation, below any directional information or RSVP requests so it is seen but not obnoxious. Now, if you are inviting people in person or over the phone, just mention it nonchalantly.

Your guests should not only understand and respect your wishes...but they will probably thank you for taking something off their "to-do" list! Also, don't be upset if you have guests that ignore your wishes and bring a gift anyway. In that situation, I would discreetly put the gift in a back room to open after everyone has left. I definitely would not open it at the party because I would hate to draw attention to the guest that didn't follow the "rules" or make the guests that did feel silly for not bringing something. Just open after the party and follow up with a nice thank you note.

I hope you and your little princess have a wonderful birthday party! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I had this same question! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete